International Researcher

Types of Researchers

Exchange Researcher

This program is open to exchange researchers from government / partner universities and institutions, with which Tokai University has already concluded an exchange agreement.

Visiting Researcher

Those who wish to conduct collaborative research with a researcher(s) of Tokai University.

Visiting Trainee

Those who are enrolled at a university/research institute etc. have a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree, and want to learn some scientific matters under a supervisor at Tokai University.

Guest Student

Exchange:This program is open to exchange Guest Students from partner universities and institutions, with which Tokai
      University has already concluded an exchange agreement.

Visiting:Those who are enrolled at a university / research institute etc., who DO NOT have a bachelor’s degree, and want to
     learn some scientific matters under a supervisor at Tokai University.

Making an application

Your first steps to arranging a visit to Tokai University as a visiting researcher include finding an academic host who is willing to support your application to visit, and working out which visa you will need. You can find an information about Tokai’s various major, laboratory and departments, etc by clicking the designated button.

Before making a formal application to your intended host department, you will need to:

  1. Identify an academic who is willing to act as your academic host during your visit to Tokai University.
  2. Send a clear research plan your intended academic host in Tokai University.
  3. Check whether the host department has a specific application process for academic visitors, and if so, whether applications are accepted on a rolling basis or whether any deadlines apply.
  4. If you will be applying as an exchange or guest students researcher, obtain a letter of support for your visit to Tokai University from your home institution – you will need this as part of your application.
  5. Check whether your host department charges visitor fees and bench fees.


  • Application form
  • CV:Curriculum vitae
  • Research plan/Study plan
  • A list of research achievements and published works
  • Recommendation/Reference letter from a supervisor of your home institution
  • A photocopy of passport
  • Stamp Copy of Passport if you have entered Japan in past year.

*The documents should be in English or Japanese.
*For Exchange Researchers/Guest Student, enclosed with an cover letter from your home institution

Tokai University has established the Tokai University Rules on Security Export Control in accordance with the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act, and conducts strict examinations for acceptance of students, etc. Please note that international applicants who fall under any of the conditions set out in said regulations may not be able to enroll in their desired course or program.

Application Deadline

Please submit your application by up to 4 months prior to the planned start of your research activities because the procedures and visa acquisition may take some time.

Place to apply

Types of VisitPlace to apply
Exchange Researchers
Guest Student
International Office of your institution
(Your institution must send us the official letter for your acceptance.)
Visiting Researcher
Visiting Trainee
Send all the materials to your host professor. You can click to find.


Application Fee: 10,000 yen + tax
Academic Fee: 20,000 to 70,000 yen + tax/month
*Please contact the host professor about the tuition.
*Admission through the agreement is free of charge.

Other Information for applying

Exchange Researchers
/Guest Student
?The acceptance letter and dormitory accommodations will be prepared
after accepting the official letter from your home institution.
Visiting Researcher
/Visiting Trainee
?If the immigration bureau requires further information or submission of additional documents,
we may contact you.
?Even if you submit all required, you may be unable to obtain a certificate of eligibility
by the determination of the immigration office.
In such case, Tokai University accepts no responsibility for that result.
?Required documents must be submitted to your host professor at Tokai University.
  1. Registrations in Japan
  2. Residence

Research Report