Applying for a Student Visa

New students coming from outside of Japan who intend to take classes for more than three months must obtain a Student Visa. The applications will be made through Tokai University. (Tokai University will submit visa application documents to the Japanese Immigration Bureau on behalf.)

Extension of Student Visa

International students are strongly advised to begin the procedures for extension of his/her student visa three months prior to its expiration date. Please come to International Education Center (1F, Bldg. 1, Shonan Campus) to get the necessary documents. If you belong to the campus other than Shonan, please go to Academic and Student Services Department of each campus.

Residence Card

You will receive your Residence Card at the airport.
Under the Japanese law, you are obliged to bring your Residence Card anytime.

Re-entry Permit System

If you leave and return to Japan within one year, you will not need to apply for Re-entry permission.
For more details, please check the website of the Immigration Bureau of Japan at:

Temporary Work Permission

In general, international students holding a visa status of “Student” are not supposed to work. However, except for jobs such as adult entertainment services, they may engage in part-time work as long as the work does not interfere with their studies. If you would like to engage in part-time work, you need to obtain an official permission from the nearest regional immigration bureau. For more details, please refer to the following link (The Ministry of Foreign Affairs):
If you are planning to have a part-time work, please submit the copy of “Temporary Work Permission” issued by the immigration office to the appropriate office indicated below.

Student of Japanese language courseInternational Education Center Office
Student of undergraduate, graduate course students or a research studentAcademic and Student Services Department at each campus